Recently: 28 October
28 October 2022
I didn’t realize it, but I must not have been keeping up on internet reading because I have no links to share. I do, however, have a long list of books read and movies/shows watched. They’re almost all of the dark variety, which is normal around here, but which also make particularly good Halloween recommendations.
- Over the summer I came across Ray Russell’s The Case Against Satan, which was fantastic, and I wondered why I hadn’t been familiar with his work before. This collection of his gothic tales, Haunted Castles: The Complete Gothic Stories, I liked even more. An absolute must for anyone into gothic horror literature.
- Speaking of which, I read Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu, the classic vampire novella predating Dracula and it’s a lesbian vampire horror story dream.
- And speaking of modern horror classics that should be more well known, I read Robert M. Coates’s Wisteria Cottage, a knockout of midcentury psychological horror.
- Inheriting Her Ghosts by S.H. Cooper is a Shirley Jackson Award nominee from last year that I recently plucked off of my reading list and enjoyed very much. Another gothic-tinged tale, but from a modern writer and with a redemptive closure.
- At the Chicago International Film Festival, I saw the Knives Out follow-up Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery and it is delightful. Please go see this one in the theater during its all-too-short week-long theatrical run, it’s an experience for a crowd.
- The Criterion Channel has a banger collection of 80s Horror to watch and virtually everything on the list is worth a watch. Favorite first-time watches for me so far are The Hidden and The Keep.
- Speaking of banger collections of horror films, Shudder has one celebrating the feminist horror film memoir text House of Psychotic Women and it’s 200% my sort of thing.
- Also! Shudder’s Queer for Fear series is truly fantastic. I wish there were a dozen seasons.
Happy Halloween-time, friends. Stay safe, stay spooky.