24 September 2023
- Inside Denmark’s Recreational Fear Lab.
- “A neighbour said: ‘We didn’t want to scare you.’” Unraveling the history of a notorious 1920s murder in Hollywood.
- Where to start with the work of legendary dark fantasy author Tanith Lee.
- Filmmaker Rian Johnson has added the screenplays of Glass Onion and the pilot episode of Poker Face to the freely available collection of screenplays on his website.
- A brief documentary from a few years ago about one of the last standing video stores, Video Visions. It seems that the store is currently closed but here’s hoping it or at least its collection sees better days.
- Liminal.earth is a map of strange things and occurrences. Hit the “Random” link to start a journey.
- I’ve been reading some horror classics from the 1970s lately. First recommendation: Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco. I like the film this is based on just fine, but the book is fantastic.
- I also read Ira Levin’s The Stepford Wives, which is a swift and worthwhile read.
- Experimental horror filmmaker Jennifer Reeder’s new film Perpetrator is now streaming on Shudder. I wrote a bit about it on Letterboxd. TL;DR: I’m a fan.
- The American Scream is a documentary about three families who create elaborate haunted house walkthroughs at their homes every Halloween and it is the perfect way for people who love Halloween to prep for the season (streaming on Peacock).
- My favorite metal band, Baroness, has a new album out, so that’s what’s spinning now.