31 January 2024
I skipped a post for January, because reasons, but there are plenty of opportunities for February—including a couple that close very soon, so hurry if you’re into those.
- Bowery Gothic is looking for literary stories on the loose theme of “winter ghosts.” This one closes on February 2.
- Sirens Call Zine is open for horror and dark fiction short stories, flash fiction, drabbles, and poetry on the theme of “born ravenous” until February 29.
- Ghoulish Books is looking for fun horror short stories and non-fiction about the horror genre for Ghoulish Tales Issue #2 until March 29.
- If you’ve got a punchy, old-fashioned genre tale, send it over to Epic Echoes Magazine until the end of February.
- Corvid Queen wants “original feminist tales, feminist retellings of traditional tales, and personal essays related to traditional tales” in the realms of short fiction, poetry, and creative non-fiction and is open until March 7.
- Women-identified authors can submit speculative short stories to Luna Station Quarterly until February 15.
- House of Gamut opens at the beginning of the month to fiction—but move fast, they fill up very quickly.
- Apparition Lit will accept stories on the theme of “mercurial” from February 15-28.
- Spindle House Press’s Tales from the Tarot will be open for flash fiction submissions on the theme of the Ace of Wands tarot card from March 1-15.
- Flame Tree Press has extended the deadline for the Medusa collection until February 4.
- Bag of Bones Press wants dark fiction short stories on the theme of “skin” until May 31.
- Sliced Up Press is open for queer horror fiction and poetry submissions to the anthology Slay and Slay Again! An Anthology of Queer Horror until the end of February.
- If you’ve got a misunderstood bit of trunk flash fiction, zine Xanax Hamster wants to read it—but they’re only open February 3-4 (2-4 for writers who identify as BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, and/or disabled).
- Burial Books is open for stories for their Inanimate Things: Volume Two anthology until May 1.