30 September 2022
- Has the Zodiac Killer mystery been solved (again)?
- RIP Jean-Luc Godard
- The best TV shows of all time
- The Black grrrls riot ignored
- Why the Soviets were afraid of Anne of Green Gables
- Save the pink bathrooms
- S. I. Rosenbaum on the lost story of Rachel and Lou.
- Are we destined to be lonely?
- “We reach out and find each other in the common darkness. By doing so we triumph over our collective and personal loss. Through kindness we slant, shockingly and miraculously, toward meaning.” Nick Cave.
- If, like me, you’re obsessed with your memories of malls, might I recommend Alexandra Lange’s Meet Me by the Fountain: An Inside History of the Mall? It’s well-researched and presented, and anchored by the real experiences and emotions we hold when it comes to those dying giants.
- I’ve been reading Laura Purcell’s modern gothic novels, my favorite of which is The Poison Thread.
- I loved Pearl.
- The documentary series on the history of Industrial Light and Magic, Light & Magic, is very detailed and pretty incredible.
- Mark Cousins’s follow-up to his history of film series, The Story of Film: A New Generation, is now available to stream in the US. Its highlighted examples are hit or miss, but he is nothing if not sincere about film and its future.
- Spin some Lydia Loveless for the last day of September.